Re: some other designs for the debian website

MJ Ray schrieb:
> Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> wrote:
>> I think it's best to prepare a few different designs and present them to
>> a broader audience and let them choose.
>
> This scares me: a broad audience may ignore all sorts of requirements
> that could be accommodated easily at the outset (visual impairment,
> the sysadmin with only telnet working, and so on) which can be real
> dogs to add later.  Any candidates presented to such an audience
> should be pre-filtered by experts.

I would be easy to define some prerequisites for the proposed designs
like "must be browsable with lynx".

>> I think it couldn't hurt to ask for professional help either.
>
> Why?  Because there are no professional webmasters on this list
> already?  That's the daftest thing posted for a while IMO.

No I was not trying to say that we have no professional webmasters. I
was just looking at our current design and proposed to ask for
professional help.

>> Maybe a public announced contest "create
>> the new Debian homepage" would attract some skilled people doing it for
>> the fame?
>
> Maybe, but it's not exactly a new requirement.  I think most skilled
> people are busy doing it for the money, but it seems like a few bright
> sparks want to make names for themselves.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll never know until we try it.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org