Re: Website Designs

Am 19.04.2007 11:35 schrieb Gerfried Fuchs:
> * James Herrington <james.herrington@tiscali.co.uk> [2007-04-18 21:11]:
>> I've come up with a quick mockup design for the debian homepage, what does
>> everyone think?
>>
>> http://james.isafreelancer.com/debian/
>
>  It looks clean, but from a closer look there are many shortcomings when
> you try to get a better feeling about the Debian website:
>
>  -) Debian doesn't sell any CDs, and AFAIK there is no real official CD
> artwork neither, so that might be vastly misleading.

Could lead to a download site with links to .iso images though, I think
this is not a major issue.

>  -) There is no (official) "Forum" nor won't there be any "Login"s at
> the Debian website. Please keep in mind that the Website is mirrored to
> some servers and shouldn't require a common database or dynamic backend
> or something of the likes.

Could be renamed to wiki.

[...]

>  -) Your "design" is just an image - which simply doesn't work with
> textbased webbrowsers or screenreaders for handicaped people, which is
> also quite important for our website.  Do you have some real HTML code
> which can be tested with various browsers, various screen resolutions
> and stuff?

It's common practice under webdesigners to create a mockup picture and
then create the HTML if the customer likes what he sees.

I'd like to propose again to start some official contest, and let a
broader audience (at least the DDs) vote for the final design. The more
people get to vote the better.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org