Re: Website Designs

Hi James!

You wrote:

> I've come up with a quick mockup design for the debian homepage, what does
> everyone think?
> http://james.isafreelancer.com/debian/
> constructive criticism welcome!

I like you design a lot!  It's nice and crisp and still rather down to
earth.  I see some minor details (I'm not sure if all languages would
fir in the top right, for example, and I'm not sure if the menu items
that are there now are indeed the ones that should be on the homepages),
but I'm sure we can work those out.

However, as I also wrote in the SoC proposal [1], I think a redesign of
the Debian site should also include a reevaluation of the general
structure of the site, which is currently not as organised and unified
as one would perhaps wnant it to be.

Anyway, I just talked about it on irc with Lars Wirzenius, and he
suggested to set up a temporary website to try things out
(newwebsite.debian.net, or whatever), and iteratively trying to redesign
the site and the structure in a real setup (with the entire webwml
backend and translation setup in place).  It might also be a nice place
to try out using another rcs than cvs, as was proposed a few days ago...

What do you think?

Bas.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2007/WebCleanup