Re: Improvements of the website

Am 17.04.2007 10:40 schrieb MJ Ray:
> Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> wrote:
>> I'm sure this was discussed before (I'm not following -www regulary),
>
> So search the archives.
>
>> but why don't we merge the wiki.d.o and debian.org?  [...]
>
> In short, because wiki.d.o is even uglier, even more cumbersome to

Please look at bazaar-ng's homepage or ubuntu's wiki. They use MoinMoin
too, and it looks much professional than our stuff.

  http://bazaar-vcs.org/
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

It is possible to have a good looking website based on MoinMoin.

> edit, even harder to make track translations nicely, has markup even
> less html-like and would require quite some work to handle the
> databases which are published on www.d.o.  CVS and WML is luxury
> compared to a maze of web forms with undocumented browser
> dependencies.
>
> Hope that explains,

Unfortunately not :) I worked with SVN and WML for some of my own
projects before and finally dropped it because it was too cumbersome to
use compared with a decent wiki or a CMS.

A wiki has also the big plus for casual translators that it has a much
lower entry barrier. Instead of downloading the webpage via CVS and
editing raw HTML you simply edit the web page like you already do with
wikipedia.

I BTW think that *not* having to use HTML but a simplified markup is
actually a feature not a bug. This is one of the reasons wikis became so
popular.

But again, I'm not even a regular contributor to www-related stuff in
Debian, I just want it to look better :) So, feel free to ignore me.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org