Re: Etch Install fails to detect DVD within Install stage

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 00:19, Emmett Sutton sent this for all our perusal:
>---} Really tearing my hair out here. Had problems with Raid PERC controller
>---} with Sarge so hoping Etch works. Ordered the DVDs. Stuck em in today in
>---} USB attached DVD drive. Installer loads then fails to Detect CD-Rom.
>---}
>---} Why oh why!!!
>---}
>---} It detects fine with Sarge DVDs. It seems Etch installer fails to load
>---} USB modules therefore doesnt see drive.
>---}
>---} I can even Load Sarge DVDs swap to new Etch DVDs before detecting/mount
>---} CD-Rom stage and it picks up and identifies Etch CD present!!! And then
>---} of course install fails because different kernel to one loaded. I can
>---} get to command shell then and ls the DVDs contents.
>---}
>---} Is there some dirty hack I can do at this stage to install Etch from
>---} this point.
>---}
>---} How on earth can this be that older version loads the drivers I need to
>---} install from the USB drive but the latest not.
>---}
>---} Debian is great once up but had so many issues last few months get the
>---} dang thing up.
>---}
>---} Any help or advice greatly appreciated
>---}
>---}
>---} -----------------------------------------------------------------
>---} This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
>---} and contains information that may be confidential and/or
>---} copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient please
>---} notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
>---} this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
>---} by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
>---} prohibited. USIT has scanned this email for viruses and
>---} dangerous content and believes it to be clean. However,
>---} virus scanning is ultimately the responsibility of the recipient.
>---} -----------------------------------------------------------------
>---}
This may be no help at all, but I had a problem with Etch detecting an
external CDROM when it went through a USB hub. Connected directly to the USB
port in the laptop, it was detected and recognised.

HTH
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524