Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by joy: webwml/english/CD/vendors adding-form.wml

Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 03:56:52PM -0600, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
>> CVSROOT:	/cvs/webwml
>> Module name:	webwml
>> Changes by:	joy	07/04/11 15:56:52
>>
>> Added files:
>> 	english/CD/vendors: adding-form.wml
>>
>> Log message:
>> 	added an actual form for CD vendor submissions, hoping to be able to
>> 	reduce the spam
>
> This should be functional now, I debugged the CGI script. It receives input
> from the above web form, vets it a bit, and sends it in a more structured
> format via e-mail.
>
> Please deduce the exact URL of the form from the source files, I don't want
> to post it on the list before it's done so that the spambots don't see it
> too soon.
>
> The generated mails are sent to cdvendors@d.o right now, which is currently
> just webmaster@d.o, and that in turn currently expands to Craig Small, Matt
> Kraai, Frank Lichtenfeld and me.
>
> I haven't been paying attention lately, but the CVS log of editors
> of the vendors.CD file in 2006 and 2007 shows most activity from
> Richard Atterer, Alexander Schmehl and David Moreno Garza; if any of
> you are interested in this, please do let me know.
>
> The end result of having this script could be that we stop random e-mail
> input into cdvendors@d.o (probably put an autoresponder on it) and instead
> have people use the form to submit new/updated info. That way nobody has to
> wade through spam and/or barely readable valid reports in order to process
> the data.
>
> I'd appreciate comments.

It looks good, and I'm just about ready to use it for real!

Just a couple of minor comments:

1) The Country list seems to be ordered by country-code. I think this
may be confusing for users (try looking for e.g. Great Britain, or
French Guiana).

2) Is it intentional to list "Great Britain" rather than the "United
Kingdom". The existing list has "UK", which I think is more likely to be
what people look for.

3) I think the question "Do you donate some of the sale to Debian" looks
a bit odd with just a checkbox. Probably just my personal preference,
but I would have expected a yes/no combo (or the question rephrased to
"Select this box if..."

By the way, what do you think about replacing "CD" with "CD or DVD"?

Thanks,
Paul