Re: Switching away from CVS

Hi Don,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 08:38:11PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I think that I'm not the only one who really dislikes using CVS; has
> any thought been made to switching away from CVS to something else
> (anything else?)[1]
>
> Perhaps a poll among those who actively commit to the repository would
> be useful to select a replacement?[2]

there where indeed some suggestions to move to a different version
control system recently.

But to be honest, I don't think it is necessary. We do not need a
distributed system since cvs.debian.org is nearly all the time
available. It happened only one or two times during the last 5 years
that this service was not available for a few days. Nevertheless a
distributed systems has advantages and is the future ...
I currently fight with monotone. At least this system is too slow to be
useful with my hardware. Don't know about other distributed systems.

We should maybe also consider graphical tools to access (and compare
revisions, ...) repositories. CVS is supported very well, also
subversion is supported by a few tools. I do most of the time work on
the command line but a few users may depend on such software.

Subversion has many similarities to CVS and is sufficient fast. It
supports also moving and renaming (at least if not used in branches)
but we did not need this feature in the past. I know it very well so I
could help if we want to migrate to it.

> 1: Primary reasons being that it makes it really, really difficult to
> do any reorganizations of the website without loosing history, and
> it's hard to do any work remotely.

Right. For remote working CVS isn't optimal.

> 3: I know it works for cvs->bzr, having done that for debbugs.

I did a few RCS->CVS->subversion conversions and it worked well.

Jens