Re: SoC Project "Debian Web Infrastructure Integration: Analysis and Design" RFC

--------- Original Message --------
From: debian-www@lists.debian.org
To: debian-www@lists.debian.org <debian-www@lists.debian.org>
Cc: Leandro Doctors <ldoctors@gusila.org.ar>
Subject: Re: SoC Project "Debian Web Infrastructure Integration: Analysis
and Design" RFC
Date: 25/03/07 15:02

First of all: Thank you Frans for the feedback.

> Have you read any of the earlier discussions on this subject in the list
> archives for debian-www?
Yes.

> Your description is extremely broad and general
Yes. It is a skeleton yet.

> and looks to be aiming at a complete
> reimplementation of the website and the wiki using a CMS.
It is just the anaysis and some design, not the implementation. Please, keep
reading.

I think that there are lots of potential Debian users who don't make the
switch just because they don't feel comfortable with its current ?web face?.
A ?web face? that (IMHO) doesn't show them all of the resources they would
have available if they use Debian.

I am not the only one who thinks that there are problems regarding Debian's
?web face?. This issue has been adressed by two candidates for this year's
DPL election (both Gustavo Franco's[0] and Sam Hocevar's[1] plattforms
mention it). Besides, Joey Hess mentions it into his ?anti-platform?[2]).

It's up to you (the debian-www team) to decide whether some changes (and
which ones) are necessary into Debian websites in order to make Debian more
attractive for newbies.

My contribution to that would be a set of **suggestions** about it (and how
to implement it). That's what I intend to accomplish in three months. The
implementation (if any) would come after.

But, if you can get a set of documents that could tell you
-what could be wrong about your work; and
-a possible way of improving,
I think you have nothing to loose and everything to win.
Regardless of whether you decide do it or not.

> Cheers,
Regards,
Leandro

[0] Gustavo Franco's Platform:
http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/platforms/stratus
[1] Sam Hocevar's Platform: http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/platforms/sho
[2]: Joey Hess' Anti Platform:
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/my_anti-platform.html

PS: As soon as I improve the skeleton of my proposal, I'll let you know.

VHCS Webmail