Response to "Who's Using Debian?"

Hello,

The Institute of Mathematical Sciences has been using Debian for a
relatively long time (perhaps since 1998 or so). We first started
with the use of Debian for the "proxy" (squid) server and for our
mirror of the e-print archive (custom built "apache"). We then went
on to the name servers ("bind"), mail servers ("exim"), firewall
("iptables") and remote access machine ("ssh"). During the last two
years or so even most desktop machines (about 100) run Debian or
a "clone".

The main reasons for this transition (we were essential a
completely Solaris + Xterm based operation until 1996) are:
(a) Debian's attention to detail that makes life easier for the
system administrator.
(b) The possibility to provide bug reports and participate in
the process of seeing these fixed.
(c) Some pro-active local users :-)

We had few problems installing Debian on servers. The main difficulties
have been with desktop installations:
(a) The difficulty of supporting newer hardware hit hard when we
installed on desktops.
(b) The entrenched support for Solaris and other legacy systems has
been a recurrent problem :-(
(c) There is a perception in many places that Debian is not for the
desktop users.

Address: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, 600113, INDIA.
Home page: http://www.imsc.res.in/
Purpose of Institute: Research in the Mathematical Sciences (Theoretical
Physics, Theoretical Computer Science and Mathematics).
Main funding: Government of India.

Thanks for your interest in the various deployments of Debian and
keep the swirl twirling!

Regards,

Kapil Hari Paranjape.