Re: "People who installed X also have packages Y, Z and T installed"

Hi Frans,

On Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 00:44:28 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 01 March 2007 00:22, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > I started building the dataset to do just that:
> >   http://people.debian.org/~enrico/Suggestions.gz
>
> Although I think the idea is nice, I don't think the current data is all
> that usable. Some examples of "links" that IMO are completely useless in
> practice, just from the top of the file and not even complete for the
> selected packages:
> 3dchess: kworldclock
> 3ddesktop: module-assistant, devscripts
> 915resolution: linux-image-2.6.18-3-686
> 9base: xserver-xephyr, libxml2-dev
>
> IMO some heavy filtering needs to be done for this data to be anything
> more than a toy and publishable.

i agree with you that we need to do some data filtering here. OTOH this
intends to be an "amazon"like feature, where not every package needs to
stand in any relation to the other package. What needs to be done is
some filtering, so not every package lists libfoo or bar-common, but i
guess Enrico has already done so.

Perhaps you can give some idea on how you would implement a better
filtering.

Greetings
Martin

PS: I would really like to see that feature on packages.debian.org :)
--
[root@debian /root]# man real-life
No manual entry for real-life