Re: "COMPACT" is not a member of a group specified for any attribute

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:57:27AM +0100, Florian Ernst wrote:
> AFAIK this attribute "compact" wasn't ever widely supported by the
> browsers,

IIRC Netscape 4.7 did interpret it - the most popular browser at the time.

> and furthermore it's not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict and thus the page doesn't
> validate[2].

I think the problem was only introduced when the site switched to HTML 4.01
Strict - the attribute is marked deprecated for Transitional.

> It's been there ever since this page exists, but as long as nobody vetoes
> I'll simpy remove it in the next days. Alternatively it could be replaced
> by e.g. 'style="letter-spacing:whatever"', but I see no reason why this
> synopsis needs to be listed compactly ...

IMHO, just remove it! BTW, I use the following CSS for <ul class="compact">
on one of my sites:

  ul.compact li { padding-bottom: 0ex; }

(For NS 4.7, the compact attribute removed the vertical spacing between
bullets, it did not affect the letter spacing.)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯