Re: minor home page error - when is 4.0?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 02:20:58PM -0800, jason wrote:
> From the www.debian.org homepage:
> "The latest stable release of Debian <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/> is 3.1. The last update to this release was made on October 28th, 2006. Read more about available
> versions of Debian <http://www.debian.org/releases/>."
>
> from http://www.debian.org/News/ ---> http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20061106:
> "*November 6th, 2006* The Debian project is pleased to announce the fourth update of its stable distribution Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (codename `sarge')."
>
> This is a very minor discrepancy, but it does show some sloppiness.  Debian isn't getting sloppy now, is it ;) (of course not!).

Hi,

It doesn't show any sloppiness, it just means that the announce has been
made a few days after the release.

You can check it by many ways:
- http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/ChangeLog
- at the end of the page http://release.debian.org/stable/3.1/3.1r4/

> On an off note, when is Etch going to be declared stable?  Is it still slated for this month?  I don't mean to be impatient.  It does needs to be done right.  I'm just eager, and
> I don't see any updates on the site, that's all.

You can follow the development of Etch on
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/ and related links, and also on
the lists debian-devel-announce, debian-release, etc.

Etch has been freezed, so the release becomes sooner.
Etch will be released when it's ready, as usual :-)

Regards,

--
Simon Paillard