Re: suggestion of a new page on Debian.org

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 06:42:04PM -0400, andrei raevsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to write a number of book reviews for Debian.org about
> the new Debian books recently published in English, French and German.
>
> Alas - I do not know sgml nor have I physically have the possibility
> to dedicate any time to learn it.
>
> Lastly, since these book reviews would be about 2-4 paragraphs in
> length each they would be longer than the ones currently on
> http://www.debian.org/doc/books.  Do you think it would be possible
> for you to create a separate page with these reviews?

Perhaps.

However, I'm not entirely sure it would be a good idea to publish such
reviews on the Debian website. Debian has always tried to remain neutral
in mentioning products and services relating to Debian, whether these
products are CD-ROM disks, consultancy services, or books; this is
because Debian cannot afford having an opinion about these products
and/or services.

That being said, I do not think that there is anything wrong with Debian
linking to reviews about Debian-related books, provided it is made
properly clear that these reviews as should not be seen as Debian's
opinion, and that other reviews will be added on request, or something
similar.

> Sorry that I cannot do it all myself and send you a fully
> publication-ready sgmled product, but I can only offer to help the
> Debian Project with the skills I have.

That is really the best any of us can do.

--
Fun will now commence