Re: Copyright files not locatable

* Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> [2006-05-18 11:44] :

> Am 17.05.2006 um 08:58 schrieb Tushar Mathew:
>
> >We had downloaded a number of packages but
> >found their copyright files missing.Some of the packages that we came
> >across are listed below.
>
> >libpisock8 0.11.8-10
>
> As you are referring to Sarge packages, I looked for some random
> copyright files missed by you. Looks like you are in error. Here an
> example:
>
> dpkg -c /var/cache/apt/archives/libpisock8_0.11.8-10_powerpc.deb
> [...]
> - -rw-r--r-- root/root       464 2004-06-06 17:44:26 ./usr/share/doc/
> libpisock8/copyright
> [...]
>
> The package is installed, which results in:
> ls -al /usr/share/doc/libpisock8/copyright
> - -rw-r--r--  1 root root 464 2004-06-06 17:44 /usr/share/doc/
> libpisock8/copyright
>
> So I cannot see any problem at all, while I am not sure, what you
> downloaded from which ressource and how you discovered that there
> might be copyright files missing.
>
> BTW: This mailing list is about Debian Web pages and not about
> package development. If you discover problems with packages, please
> refer to the Debian bug tracking system and give some more
> information in the bug report. The bug tracking system is linked
> directly from the debian homepage and can be found at http://
> www.debian.org/Bugs/. But in this case I cannot see a bug at all.

Hello,

I think that Tushar refers to the packages.debian.org website pages and
some copyright files are indeed missing: for instance, at the page
http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/bash, there is a link to
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/b/bash/bash_2.05b-2-26/bash.copyright.
But this file does not exist (only
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/b/bash/bash_2.05b-2-26/copyright
exists, but this is the file for the bash Debian source package).

So either there is a problem with the script which generates webpages
for packages.debian.org, or there is (or was) a problem with the script
which extracts copyright files from Debian package. Personally, I think
that this is the latter. Frank, could you have a look at this?

Maybe the second script needs to reextract copyright files from the
stable packages (I don't know enough about this script to understand if
this is easily doable).

Greetings,

Fred