Who's using Debian?

We now operate a 500 node cluster running Debian. It's in the Top500 list, somewhere around the #268 mark, and would probably be a nice addition to the list of who's using Debian, since we are a leading scientific research organisation.

Name of Organisation: Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK

Organisation type:  Non-profit biological and medical research

Home page:  Sanger Institute http://www.sanger.ac.uk

The organisation uses Debian as the first choice distribution on Linux systems, and they are used in several areas:

1) We have about 300 desktop machines, running Debian, for the use of laboratory staff for mail, web browsing and so on. 2) Our 500 node compute cluster consists of Xeon, EM64T and Opteron machines, some running the i386 and some running the x86_64 ports of Debian. The cluster is used to run a variety of HPC applications, including the building of the public Ensembl database of genome information (http://www.ensembl.org), medical research jobs, and even some computation fluid dynamics for the development of in-house robots and so on. 3) Debian is also used for many internal infrastructure services; mail, DNS, NIS, DHCP and so on. 4) Many internal data servers are also larger machines running Debian for running MySQL servers. These are typically Opteron or Itanium2 machines.

There are three Debian Developers on the Systems team, myself included, which helps. :-)

Regards,

Tim
--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute