Re: Non-existent package listed on WNPP page

Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi Roberto
>
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
>>>On the WNPP Orphaned Packages page [0], the package ubit is
>>>listed.  However, while the associated bug [1] exists, the
>>>package is not found [2].  The packages page for it says the
>>>package can't be found in any distribution.
>>>
>>>-Roberto
>>>
>>>[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned.html
>>>[1] http://bugs.debian.org/279815
>>>[2] http://packages.debian.org/ubit
>

> The source package is called ubit, but the binary packages are called
> libubit1 and libubit-dev. You can find source packages via
> http://packages.qa.debian.org (you can also enter binary packages, it
> will redirect you to the package tracking system of the source package).
>
> Cheers
>
> Luk

OK.  I am not sure how the info for the wnpp pages is pulled, but
it should check if the referenced package is source, binary, or
both (i.e., same name) and consrtuct the appropriate link.  In fact,
as I understand it, packages are always maintained as source packages.
So, a binary package that is one of several produced by a particular
source package will never be orphaned alone.  This makes me think it
would be better always construct links on the wnpp pages of the form
http://packages.debian.org/src:foo

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez