Another article about the problems with xhtml

Hi!

Maybe not all read Anne van Kesteren's weblog about HTML/XHTML/CSS...

There is another interesting article, why not to use XHTML. - As mentioned before, one problem is that XHTML has to be served as xhtml+xml and _not_ as text/html to keep the standards, and browsers would go into Quirks mode, if not. Now she talks about the problems with mozilla, where xhtml is not fully implemented and about pages not being shown incremental but when fully loaded - letting the user wait.

http://annevankesteren.nl/archives/2004/12/mozilla-faq-on-xhtml

Beside that, there are lots of bad usages of html in the code of debian-www, as I have seen, The cleaning up to be able to got to html strict, would be a great work, I think. The work I am currently doing for packages.debian.org makes it not only going css but gong strict DTD, too. Code decreases a lot.

That xhtml may be easier to validate is one thing. But code has to be written by humans and there are readers, who want to get the pages displayed correctly and immediately.

Beside that, there are lots of bad usages of html in the code of debian-www, as I have seen, The cleaning up to be able to got to html strict, would be a great work, I think. The work I am currently doing for packages.debian.org makes it not only going css but going strict DTD, too. Code decreases a lot.

Just my two cents...

Jutta

--
http://www.witch.westfalen.de