Re: Debian button in .gif format!

* Andreas van Cranenburgh <andreas@unstable.nl> [2004-10-14 03:03]:
> I was astonished to discover that the Debian logo button on
> http://www.debian.org/logos/ is in the patent encumbered .gif format.

 Not the gif format itself is encumbered, the LWZ compression algorithm
is patent encumbered. Just to get the facts straight. And: That patent
expired, you can see gif support in Debian main again.

> I've attached a png copy of this file, to put on the site instead.
> (Note that it's also 37 bytes smaller :P )

 On the contrary, yes. png is superior to gif. But only in partial
things: It is not well enough supported in all the browsers that are out
there, especially when it comes to transparency...

 "Three sides to every story."  -- Extreme
Alfie
--
-!- mode/#debian.de [+oo sesom XSnackWRK] by Alfie
 * Alfie . o O ( Nein, ich bin nicht da - bitte nicht anquatschen ;) )