Re: Language problem

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 02:13:37PM +0200, [Admin at dDH] wrote:
> Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>
> >Probably bug Mozilla so that you don't have to answer "NO I DON'T WANT TO
> >DONWLOAD THOSE FONTS!" every time you access a page at debian.org after
> >starting up the browser. The answer is kept in memory is for one browser
> >session but not when a new browser is started up, it should behave like the
> >'do you want to remember this form?', 'do you want me to store cookies?')
>
> I don't agree. And remember Mozilla is the most compliant browser.
> If you put a language font on a page, it's logical Mozilla wants to
> download it. The user should not have to experiment with cookies to
> prevent that, 'normal' people don't use cookies or delete them.
> I've tried http://www.debian.org/intro/about.de.html and now it wants to
> download a Japanese font too :-(

No, I didn't mean that the website should use cookies, just that the
browser should acknowledge the user answer and should never show that
dialog again for the same font. That is, if you have already told your
browser you don't want to see the font you shouldn't be asked everytime you
visit a page that uses them.

> There is a very simple solution: DON'T PUT THESE FONTS ON THESE PAGES!
> If you think you need this: you need it on the English home page only,
> and at the top of the page. Best would be one 'language link'.
> And BTW, I don't think there are users out there who don't know what
> their language is called in English.

There are, believe me.

> This is typically too 'user friendly': Maybe, maybe you will help one
> Korean user a year who by accident ended up at the Finnish home page
> .... Or a Russian user who ended up at the Italian home page.
> (And by accident scrolled down :)

You might have a point in that those links might only be really necessary
in the (default) english webpages and others could just have a pointer to
the english version instead of all languages.

> Please let me know what you do. Being a responsible webmaster myself, I
> will stop linking to debian.org if this problem persists ...

Do whatever you feel it's best for you users, we'll do whatever it's best
for our target audience. Please understand that some things cannot be
solved to make everyone 100% happy.

Regards

Javier