Re: DMUP violated? / Proposal: devel/website/using_cvs.wml

Hello list!

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:38:44PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> [2004-09-04 11:19]:
> > I knew about the debian-www-cvs mailing list but thought this is
> > acceptable, after all the system is set up for many changes.
>
>  Yes. And the BTS is set up for many bugreports. This does still mean
> that huge changes should definitely be discussed and _announced_ at
> least, so people are aware before.

While this is clearly documented for the BTS I couldn't find any such
practice for the webwml cvs. When I replied to your initial order to
stop I asked you to point me to such a document, which you ignored.
That's the reason why I proposed the patch in the original posting of
this thread and asked all list members for review and comments.

> > Apparently it was not acceptable, and at least one person was / is
> > seriously annoyed by the amount of similar messages coming in, so I
> > propose the attached change to devel/website/using_cvs.wml.
>
>  It was acceptable, but you forgot to announce it. I was more annoyed
> that it wasn't announced at all, and right after you got your access.

When you commanded me to stop committing you don't mention this at
all, all I could gather from your shouting was that you were annoyed
by the amount of mails flowing in. I might have missed that nuance,
though.
That's the reason why I asked you to provide a little more detail if
you want me to do anything.

> > Unfortunately things have already happened and as the very same person
> > has used the term "abuse" please check whether I have violated the
> > DMUP (I guess "wilful, deliberate, reckless or unlawful act
> > interfer[ing] with the work of another developer" and "Mail Bombing"
> > _could_ apply here) or any other document.
>
>  Abuse in the sense of waiting for your commit permissions and stump
> over the whole archive without any coordination at all, or any
> indication that this would happen.

I propose a patch, in the course of this proposal I recieve write
permissions, while nobody from the www-team commits the patch. So I
announce to do it myself. Nobody objects. One week after having
recieved write access I check in the patch.

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:22:08 +0200:
announcing the patch on debian-www
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2004/08/msg00289.html>
recieving some feedback (but less than desired) thereafter, also
getting write access (confirmation on Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:22:13 +0200).

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:46:56 +0200:
asking again for review before committing the patch
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2004/08/msg00395.html>

Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:59:03 +0200:
announcing to "commit these changes one after another (against my
original intentions), also bumping the translation-check header of all
corresponding translation in the process"
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2004/09/msg00007.html>
if this patch won't find further review

Fri, 3 Sep 2004 around 14:00:00 +0200 (?)
starting to commit

In conclusion I think I asked for coordination and quite indicated my
intentions, and I proceeded exactly as I announced. If you for one
reason or another didn't see this I'm feel sorry.

>  Thanks for not trying to resolve that with me as your translation
> coordinator and advocate for your commit permission but rather bringing
> it up on here. This will definitely help with our relationship and my
> opinion on you....

You are "my" translation coordinator for the German parts of the
webpages. My commit that started all this dealt with the English pages
(and all applicable translation), so I think this list is the place to
discuss anything related to it.
If you are personally offended (possibly as an advocate) that's a
different matter. Feel free to send any more shoutings.

On the other hand I have to confess I deliberately transferred this
subject here onto this list: I prefer to have anything referring to my
person being mentioned publicly, as I've met several people who tend
to be quite irresponsible and / or abusive in private mail. Being in
the open public prevents some abuse. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About our "relationship": we don't need to like each other, we simply
have to work together. I personally see no problem in this, in fact I
can hardly say I had any contact with you before (you initially
ignored most of my inquiries, including one asking for coordination
details of the German DWN translation), and I guess we won't have that
much contact from now on. But this doesn't stop anyone of us from
doing our work at all.

Cheers,
Flo