Re: official debian wiki installation

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 21:50 -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:
> Would it be possible for you to work with the administrators of
> wiki.debian.net to transition that site to MediaWiki?

There are some old conversion scripts and a python bot framework for
MediaWiki, so there should be a way to do an automated conversion.
MediaWiki doesn't support CamelCase, from what i've seen that's the
biggest change markup-wise. Page urls would also change, when moving the
page after import a redirect is automatically created to keep the old
url working.

According to http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?action=search there are
1581 pages in the debian.net wiki, so even a manual import might be a
viable option. When Wikipedia switched from CamelCase to [[Free from
links]] the conversion was mostly done manually, and there were much
more pages.

I believe that a more official status of the wiki could help a lot to
make the wiki more popular (more users, more content etc). Offering
database downloads as we do on Wikipedia and a debian.org subdomain
might also help this.
--
Gabriel Wicke