Re: The next OS?

On 16-06-2004, at 21h 27'00", lgg wrote about "The next OS?"

> It is idiocy on my part to try so hard to adopt an Operating System other
> than MS Windows.

Well, for the money you spend on Linux, maybe it had been better to
stick to windows.

> No GUI screen to denote triumph.

You can do almost everything from the console, but if you want the X
then you need to know what hardware you have. Just start a X config
program or edit by hand the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Have a look at
the log files for errors (/var/log/kdm.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log)
which will tell you what is wrong. When you had Knoppix, you could save
a copy of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and just use it with Debian :-)

> NOTE: When I decided to email this to Debian, I was amazed at the huge
> number of mailing lists available. I didn?t know where to sent it. So you
> were selected at random. Perhaps you know where to send it.

This mailing lists is for the status of the Debian web page :-)
You could try debian-user@lists.debian.org.
There are so many lists because there are so many people using Debian,
and so many different things we want to talk about!

If you have tryed so many different Linux flavours, and you still did
not found it, well, maybe you are right, it is not for you. If you still
want it, you have to change your way. Try to understand what you are
doing. It will help you a lot. In my case I start with debian more than
7 years ago. And I am still with it.

Good luck.

Ionel