Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by jfs: webwml/english/mirror anonftpsync

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 07:38:22AM -0700, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
> CVSROOT:	/cvs/webwml
> Module name:	webwml
> Changes by:	jfs	03/12/31 07:38:22
>
> Modified files:
> 	english/mirror : anonftpsync
>
> Log message:
> 	Added an OPTIONS flag (useful to set bwlimit) and save the log in the
> 	project trace avoiding it to be deleted.

Okay, let's get one thing straight.

DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH THINGS WHOSE PURPOSE YOU DON'T KNOW.

I will repeat that for clarity and artistic effect.

DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH THINGS WHOSE PURPOSE YOU DON'T KNOW.

This change caused several new mirrors to have a broken trace directory.
Look at what the name says -- TRACE. That means there is to be a trace of
hostnames+timestamps that the files were at before reaching their present
location. If you blithely exclude them, that trace disappears, making the
whole directory pointless.

Adding $OTHEROPTS and removing $EXCLUDE will also break the declared
functionality. Were you typing this blindly or something?

To make the embarrassment worse, when I checked over their mirrors I asked
them what the hell were they doing, without knowing that we are giving them
the wrong script! D'oh!

I expend a lot of effort to make sure that things run properly when I'm
not looking at them, but things seem to have a magic tendency to go SNAFU...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.