Re: Showing distributions on package-info pages

* Thomas Güttler <guettli@thomas-guettler.de> [2003-11-13 16:30]:
> It would be nice for every files which are depend/recommend/suggested,
> there where a info to which distribution they belong:
>
> Example,
> I am running stabel and want to upgrade to a new kernel.
>
> The page:
>   http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7.html
                               ^^^^^^^^
> shows that initrd-tools, coreutils etc. are needed.
>
> It would be nice the see to which distribution they belong.
> (stable/testing/unstable).

 Of course to unstable, there is no such thing like a mixed
distributions. Or rather should not, because it gets even more unstable
than plain unstable. I personally discourage it strongly.

 I don't think that it would be good thing to resolve this wish. I know
what you are longing to (like, from your example:
[depends] initrd-tools (>= 0.1.48) (testing, unstable)
[depends] coreutils (testing, unstable)
  or fileutils (>= 4.0) (stable, testing, unstable)
... and so on)

 It would become a real mess, and the packages pages aren't really meant
as a frontend to package gathering.

> I do a manual download, since my debian machine is at home with a slow
> connection. I download somewhere else, copy it to a memory stick and
> install from there.

 Have you taken a look at apt-zip? That might help you in that respect
quite well.

 Have fun,
Alfie
--
Laut SunnComm-Chef Peter Jacobs sei das allerdings gar nicht so schlimm, denn
schon alleine der Akt des Niederdrückens der Shifttaste sollte den Menschen