Origin of Debian Whirlpool not found.

Hi.

KLDP, http://kldp.org/ has introduced a number of T-shirts
including one of debian whirlpool marked.
I purchased one, to give someone a present.

But I coulnd't describe the meaning of, and the origin of
Debian Whirlpool logo. I myself don't use Debian
and the person who'll get this present don't know about GNU/Linux.

http://www.debian.org/News/1999/19990204 has a short announcement
for Debian Logo Contest, with a broken link.
But don't give any information about logo itself.

As Debian has come from Deb+ian, there should be a short
and interesting story about the origin of Debian Whirlpool logo.
I think so.

Thanks,
kz.