Re: Please: Is it possible to remove a message from the archive?

On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:40:10 +0200, Soenke von Stamm wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm a debian user, admin and evangelist in my company as well as
> privately for years now. As I am subscribed to several debain-lists, an
> accident accured back in 2002 which hits back on me now.
>
> I am the unlucky person who posted a mail which is listed in the debian
> archive under
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200212/msg00159.html
> and followed up by
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200212/msg00160.html
>
> It was an internal mail which I accidentally sent to the list. It
> contains account names and a password. Of course the accounts and the
> password have immediately been changed, but if you search Google for the
> mentioned hospital (whose name was the title of the mail), this
> list-entry appears on place 4 and 5 in the google-archive  because of
> the popularity of lists.debian.org.
>
> Now I've got trouble with the board of my company as that hospital is
> angry that people who search for them almost immediately get to that
> message. Mostly understandable as I think 8-(
>

> Now, please, is it possible, to remove that message or replace it with a
> dummy at least?
>
> I guess the mirrors, if they hold the original message, will not be as
> much of a problem as they may not be as popular as debain's listarchive.
>

> Many thanks in advance for anything you can do -- even if you can just
> do nothing...
>
> I guess that google-ranking proves how accelent the debian listarchive
> really is (as well as the rest of debian 8-)
>

> Best Regards!
>
> 	Sönke

It is impossible to delete it from all mirrors. As this Mailing
list is also available as newsgroup (linux.debian.www) and all articles
in newsgroups are mirrored by many newsservers (most ISPs provide their
own nwesserver), it won't be possible.