Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:19:56AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > Great, ipadic is 3meg and consumes 12meg.  I cannot expect people to
> > download that with the default packages.
> >
> > So I'll release mnogo 3.2.10 with no chasen. It's broken anyway because
> > it needs some rc files and other things.
> >
> > Now for the webiste, I'll get the other charsets going and we'll work
> > on the JP problem separately.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the meaning or feeling of "Great" here.
> Can you explain?
It's not great at all, its bad.  I forget people might not understand me
and should of been clearer.

> However, search.debian.org is a different topic.  Since Japanese
> is one of several languages for which number of translated pages in
> http://www.debian.org/ is more than 50%, it is nonsence to exclude
> these pages from the target of search.
>
> I don't understand at all why some of Debian (and other free-software-
> related) people tend to exclude Japanese and other Asian languages
> from range of support....  Even people who are interested in
> i18n and translation sometimes tend to do!

Yes, you are right I am confusing the two issues.  I can easily, well
almost easily, make a special search.d.o set of binaries and they can
have little or no bearing on the packages...

It gets us back to the original problem that what is the license for
ipadic?  And libchasen is broken.

Why is it broken?
It won't work without some files that are not part of the package.
These files are nowhere to be seen and there is no documentation on
how these files are supposed to come about nor what format they are in.

That can all be solved I'm sure, but its no use asking admins to put
libchasen on until this is fixed or a work-around is found.

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/                <csmall@enc.com.au>