Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 01:15:18AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier)
> Subject: Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org
> Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:12:00 +0200
>
> > In this bugreport you tell that lynx-cur is right, but I have similar
> > results with lynx-cur 2.8.5-10.
>
> I tested lynx and lynx-cur and found that both of them are problematic.
>
> I tested lynx and lynx-cur on mlterm and xterm in UTF-8 mode and
> ja_JP.UTF-8 locale.  I searched a Russian word for "News".  Then,
> though the search seems to work well, all Cyrillic characters are
> displayed in Latin alphabet transliteration.  I imagine they are
> not sensible of locale.

Thanks to Peter's explanations, I now understand that this problem
is related to browsers, and not search.d.o.  I made some other
investigations and found that Lynx does not get charset from my
locale, and I have to set it manually by pressing the 'o' key.
It then seems to work fine.

> Please test w3mmee.  It should work well.

Indeed, it works fine.  Looks like a smart browser.
It automatically sets charset in a UTF-8 locale, but not when
in a legacy encoding.  Do you know why?  This is quite annoying
when performing such tests ;)

In conclusion, I could not make links and w3m work, but lynx and
w3mmee are fine if well configured.  This was interesting, thanks
to all of you.

Now we can go back to the mnogosearch issue ;)

Denis