Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org

At Tue, 13 May 2003 15:54:01 +0900 (JST),
Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > Now I'm trying to make another DFSG-free dictionary for ChaSen. If I
> > can do it, I'll move ipadic package to non-free and ITP the new one.
>
> Any perspectives?

In fact, it's already done by Tsuchiya-sann. Now I'm trying to make
development environment (CVS, web, et al.). It is based on pubdic that
usually used with Canna and FreeWnn.

> At first, I imagine chasen is much better than kakasi because chasen
> analyzes the grammer of Japanese sentences while kakasi doesn't.
> Which is better, chasen without dictionary (chasen itself is free)
> or kakasi?  Or, chasen *needs* dictionary (though libchasen0 doesn't
> Depends: on ipadic)?

Oops, it's a bug on libchasen. ChaSen (or libchasen) must need their
dictionary.

> Second, can we use kakasi for mnogosearch?

It could be. It seems not so hard. If I have a time, I'll try to make
a patch.

> At last, which solution do you suggest?  Should we wait for "free"
> alternative for ipadic?  Or, ipadic should be regarded free?  Or,
s> can we use kakasi?  Or, should we recognize there are no free
> implementation for web search which supports languages including
> Japanese?

My another intention of making free dictionary is to ITP MeCab that is
yet anoter morphological analyzer. The author of the software said
that it is faster than ChaSen or KAKASI, so the best way is using it,
I think.
--
NOKUBI Takatsugu
E-mail: knok@daionet.gr.jp