Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org

Hi,

From: knok@daionet.gr.jp
Subject: Re: enable searching East Asian words at search.debian.org
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:32:49 +0900

> Now I'm trying to make another DFSG-free dictionary for ChaSen. If I
> can do it, I'll move ipadic package to non-free and ITP the new one.

Any perspectives?

> The another solution is to use libkakasi instead libchasen. It is
> completely free.

At first, I imagine chasen is much better than kakasi because chasen
analyzes the grammer of Japanese sentences while kakasi doesn't.
Which is better, chasen without dictionary (chasen itself is free)
or kakasi?  Or, chasen *needs* dictionary (though libchasen0 doesn't
Depends: on ipadic)?

Second, can we use kakasi for mnogosearch?

If we don't have solution, how about writing "please use google for
searching CJK words in Debian site" at http://search.debian.org/
and admit that free softwares are not yet something which can
substitute proprietary softwares?

At last, which solution do you suggest?  Should we wait for "free"
alternative for ipadic?  Or, ipadic should be regarded free?  Or,
can we use kakasi?  Or, should we recognize there are no free
implementation for web search which supports languages including
Japanese?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/