packages.d.o - what has been and what could be

Hi all.

I've thought about the packages.d.o problems (only i386 and that...)
and I wonder if I could not do something for Debian and rewrite this
stuff. This is more a long term plan since I've no time in the next
weeks (perhaps even in the next two months) but at least I'm
interested in this problem.
But before I step deeper into this, I have some questions:
 - Has anyone tried to solve this before? and if yes: how far
   he has get and where failed he? devel/website/todo is very
   vague about this.
 - My programming experiences in this area are mostly
   MySQL with Perl-CGI-Frontend but with much much smaller
   databases and fewer users. Is this a good approach? and if
   no: why? The queries are not very complicated, its all readonly
   and probably you can catch some load by generating static versions
   of the most wanted pages (i386 comes to mind). How many load do you
   have to expect?

Gruß,
	Frank

--