Re: bugreport

* Hauke Karstens <hauke.karstens@t-online.de> [2003-03-05 21:11]:
> the bugreport tool in general is a great idea, but it's use really is
> suggs. When I find something that I believe to be a bug, I will be glad
> to report it. But the bugreporting tool needs expert knowlege to use it
> and a very good knowlege of specific vocabulary.

 Which bugreport tool are you talking about?  Have you tried reportbug?
That one is the prefered tool to report bugs nowadays and is quite
straightforward, interactive and well explaining.  I am not sure what
level you have set your reportbug tool to, it has many different ones.
You can set the level with the following lines in your ~/.reportbugrc
file:

# default operating mode: one of: novice, standard, advanced, expert
mode novice

 As you can see in the comment there are different modes supported, all
which ask questions on different levels of knowledge of the system.
There is also the following page which describes how to report bugs,
too: <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting>

> I think many ordnary users give up reporting a bug useing that tool. I
> came close to it and I'm still not sure if I reported my bug in the
> right catagory.

 What exactly were you not sure of?  If you just give fuzzy descriptions
nothing can be enhanced.  If you on the other hand would be able to give
a good description of the parts you were having problems with it would
be possible to clearify that sections.

> Isn't it in the interes of Debian, to have an easy to use tool, that
> will help to wipe out any possible bug?

 Yes, of course.  But it can only be enhanced if you be more clear on
what parts you were having problems.  And it should start with the name
of the tool you are using (which isn't clear neither).

 Btw., I guess you hit the wrong mailing-list.  listarchives is about
the mailing list archives, not about general questions.  I guess your
mail would be better suited on the <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
real request (just being fuzzy on the topic or having real suggestions
for improvements).  There whould also be a
<debian-user-german@lists.debian.org> mailing list if you prefer
communication in german language instead.

 Have fun,
Alfie
--
Each SPAMmer should be sued to recycle every single bit of nettraffic he caused.
                                  -- me, 2001-10-09