Re: The maintainer still isn't listening?

On 17-02-2003, at 20h 14'58", Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote to debian-www about "The maintainer still isn't listening?"
> Hi,
>
> None of members of Japanese team don't understand what the
> "listening" means.  Is it a metaphor or an idiom?

from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Listen \Lis"ten\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Listened}; p. pr. & vb.
     n. {Listening}.] [OE. listnen, listen, lustnen, lusten, AS.
     hlystan; akin to hlyst hearing, OS. hlust, Icel. hlusta to
     listen, hlust ear, AS. hlosnian to wait in suspense, OHG.
     hlos[=e]n to listen, Gr. ?, and E. loud. [root]41. See
     {Loud}, and cf. {List} to listen.]
     1. To give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to
        give ear; to hearken; to attend.

              When we have occasion to listen, and give a more
              particular attention to same sound, the tympanum is
              drawn to a more than ordinary tension. --Holder.

     2. To give heed; to yield to advice; to follow admonition; to
        obey.

              Listen to me, and by me be ruled.     --Tennyson.

     {To listen after}, to take an interest in. [Obs.]

              Soldiers note forts, armories, and magazines;
              scholars listen after libraries, disputations, and
              professors.                           --Fuller.

     Syn: To attend; hearken. See {Attend}.

from WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

  listening
       adj : attending to or alert for sound; "be wary of listening
             ears"; "government-maintained listening posts"
       n : the act of hearing attentively; "you can learn a lot by just
           listening"; "they make good music--you should give them a
           hearing" [syn: {hearing}]

Ionel