Re: "family name, personal name" in devel/people

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 01:15:16AM +0900, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> > cn: Oohara
> > sn: Yuuma
> > There does seem to be an error in Yuuma Oohara's entry, though -- cn
> > and sn are reversed. This email is Cc:ed to the developer and
> > debian-admin so that the error can be verified and then fixed.
> I don't know what cn and sn are.  cn = Christian name, sn = surname?

The real problem of this form is it does not accommodate people who do
not have surname.  I think people in Burma have honoring title but no
surname. It is my academic curiosity :-)

> My family name is Oohara and my personal name is Yuuma.  I am _not_
> Yuuma Oohara -- in Japan a family name comes before a personal name.

I know some minority of Japanese people wish to be called the same order
in English/French context as ithey do in Japanese context.  That is fine
as preference but you are stretching too far and twisting the fact.

All you had to say was "I prefer to be called Oohara Yuuma"

I am sorry but I have to remind you that you are very likely to be
called officially "Yuuma Oohara" in the letters your government issues
in English or French.  That may be where you have to fight :-) I do not
understand why you are so picky on this issue here ?

> The NM application form insisted on the personal-name-family-name
> order, so it may be the cause of the bug.

Form is form.  Just follow the instruction.

You will be surprised to find many US official forms use surname first,
given name second, and middle name initial last format.  As long as each
entry is clearly marked, I see no issues.

I see no major threat of cultural imperialism here either.  So relax.
Japan exports enough pop-culture trashes these days.  Video games,
anime, to name a few ...  The name order will not trash Japanese
culture.

> I don't see any point in splitting a developer's name into the family
> name and the personal name, but it is another issue.

I guess many others see differently.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract