Re: Chinese big5 encoding and PO files

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:02:44AM +0100, Peter Karlsson wrote:
[...]
> > Maybe fix_big5.pl should be run against those PO files so that MO
> > files contain escaped backslashes?
>
> If you insert extra 0x5C bytes into the stream, the text will look very
> broken to a Big5 text editor.

This is why I suggest to insert backslashes in MO files and not PO files.
Those backslashes will be removed when processed through WML.

> It is also not possible to directly see which characters end in a 0x5C
> byte, so doing this is not feasible.

The chinese/bin/fix_big5.pl has surely been written for this purpose.
As it is there for a long time, I guess it performs its job; so it
could IMO also be used to process PO files when calling msgfmt.

Denis