A question about donation

Dear Debian developer,
I'm an Italian Debian user and I like your product, your philosophy
and the spirit of GNU, FSF and so on.

Then, I'd like to contribute with a donation of 50 USD (small,
but important for me, a poor worker :)

And the question is if you can choose some link from where I can
donate only money, without the need to buy CDs.

I think those link may be posted in
"http://www.spi-inc.org/donations";
or
"http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/";

I asked also to the SPI treasurer (after you find the message),
but he said you can/have to find and keep updated those links.

I guess there are vendors that let me donate only money
(I found them in "http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/";),
but me, and I think more and more peoples, would like
that donating money would be a little easy.

Thanks for the patience, and thanks thanks thanks for
your fantastic work.

Stefano Spinucci
Italy

MESSAGE SENT SOME DAYS AGO TO THE TREASURER

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:33:50AM +0100, pyxis@libero.it wrote:
> I want to donate bot I guess why you don't use a more
> friendly way to make donations (for donators) like PayPal
> or a Credit Card processor (choose you what you want).

This has been discussed in the past, and there are drawbacks to both
approaches, particularly PayPal.

SPI probably may be contracting with a credit card processor in the
future, however this point is still under discussion.

> Excuse me for the question, but If I donate 20 USD
> to Debian, I dislike to pay 10 USD to my bank for the
> money transfer (I live in Italy).

I don't blame you. In the meantime you might see if ffis e.V. is a more
attractive option; see <http://www.ffis.de/Verein/spi-en.html>.

> Alternatively, why you don't place in the page
> "http://www.spi-inc.org/donations"; a link to a CD vendor
> who accept donation to Debian (I mean a SECURE CD vendor
> that send you ALL the money I donate).

The Debian Project is a member project of SPI; it is Debian's
responsibility to provide such links. It's also far more likely that
people directly involved with the Debian Project will be able to keep
such links up-to-date (while there is currently much overlap between
Debian developers and SPI contributing members, this overlap is not
guaranteed to be permanent).

> PS
> ALL THE LINK TO EMAIL YOU IN THE ITALIAN PAGE ARE WRONG!!!!!

I am CCing this message to the SPI webmaster for this reason.

> PPS
> Many thanks for the good work.
> Open source, for me, is the future of the free computing,
> and it's a good thing for everyone in the world.

Thank you very much for your support. I hope that we can make more
satisfactory arrangements for you and other Italian supporters of Debian
and SPI in the future.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.