Re: translation of searchtmpl/search.wml

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:22:08PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier)
> Subject: Re: translation of searchtmpl/search.wml
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:46:34 +0100
>
> > At first glance it sounds very good, but I am not sure this is the way
> > to go, because some strings are not handled by gettext, e.g. see
> > Catalan strings in webwml/english/template/debian/ctime.wml
> > There are also several Perl variables in date.pot, which will be
> > displayed according to current locale, and not UTF-8.
> > We could certainly play with CUR_LOCALE, but a simpler solution is
> > to post-process HTML files with iconv and change their charset
> > field in <meta> tags, see attached patch.
>
> I think your idea is better than mine.  I also checked your patch
> works well, i.e., builds translated pages in UTF-8.

All right, it is committed.

> BTW, do you have any idea why Craig thinks like the following mail?
> Maybe I am missing something....
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2003/debian-www-200301/msg00271.html

No idea, it seems quite clear.  You could compile and install it in a
private area, then index some files to check that it works as expected.
When you are sure it works, explain again why it has to be recompiled,
by providing examples with your own version.

Denis