Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by joey: webwml/english/News/weekly/2002/45 index.wml

On Monday 25 November 2002 13:43, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs:
> >  Uhm, it says it should apear with a ® symbol.  Shouldn't we
> > rather use that entity instead of working around with (R)?
>
> Or, even better, since this is ISO 8859-1, write ®.
>
> But since we generally do not write ®s after trademarks in our normal
> texts, why make an exception here? Or should we write Linux® everytime
> we refer to Debian® GNU®/Linux®? It's just plain silly in
> non-marketspeak<tm>.

I agree that the use of ® is non-marketspeak is annoying... but IMHO the
website is a bit more than that... it may be considered advertizement, or at
least official documentation... as such it is quite normal to either use ®,
or mention that Lego is a registered trademark elsewhere...

Anyway, ® is only used for registered trademarks... not sure wether Debian and
GNU are really registered... Linux is, AFAIK... Even if registered, it is up
to the onwer to enforce its right, and if he/she/it does so, we should be so
kind to accept their prefered use of trademarks...

Egon