Re: many dead links on the Debian books page!!!

* James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org> [2002-11-07 10:35]:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:29:57PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>> http://www.newriders.com/ : Error = (405) Method Not Allowed
>
> The site tries to set a cookie. I didn't bother trying to handle that.
>
> [snip]
>> http://www.borders.com/ : Error: site uses a non-compliant server. Not checkin
>>
>>  That page gets redirected to amazon, amazon seems to have bought
>> borders.  Shall we change that link?
>>
> Go ahead.

 I guess this should be the generic URL for that book:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965957519/>
Without any session-id attached or else.  I will replace it with this.

> OT: I note that when you go to www.amazon.com you get redirected to a
> unique url each time, e.g.
> www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/102-4355343-3502569
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I can't see any reason they'd do that unless they are trying to track
> you.

 Just a session-id.  They use it for people that have cookies turned off
to keep them logged in.  Yes, conspiracy theory might tell us that there
might be more behind it but I personally don't care/think it does.

 Have fun,
Alfie
--
  * I hate bash