users page

Hey guys,

I took the first batch of data I've received from my "high-profile
Debian user" survey, and wml-ized it.  Just mkdir webwml/english/users,
then dump all these files in there, then add "users" to SUBS in the
webwml/english/Makefile.

I plan to collect a lot more than this, too.  But having it up on a web
page will make it easier for people to see examples of how to write the
summary paragraph.
# This Makefile should need no changes from webwml/english/users/Makefile
# Please send a message to debian-www if you need to modify anything
# so the problem can be fixed.

WMLBASE=..
CUR_DIR=users

include $(WMLBASE)/Make.lang

index.$(LANGUAGE).html: index.wml $(TEMPLDIR)/template.wml \
                        $(ENGLISHSRCDIR)/users/index.include
$(WML1_IGNORE:*#)  $(WML1_IGNORE=#use)
$(WML1_IGNORE:-#) wml::sys::compat1

<define-tag userdetail whitespace=delete endtag=required>
  <A name="%0"/>
  <H3><if %2 <A href="%2">%1</A> %1 ></H3>
  %body
</define-tag>

#use wml::debian::template title="Who's using Debian?" BARETITLE=true
#include "$(ENGLISHDIR)/users/index.include"

deployed Debian.  The information was given by the listed
organization.  If you would like to be included in this list, please
send mail to the <a href="mailto:press@debian.org";>Debian Press
Team</a>.</p>

  <h2>Educational Institutions</h2>
  <ul>
  </ul>
  <h2>Nonprofit Organizations</h2>
  <ul>
  </ul>
  <h2>Commercial</h2>
  <ul>
  </ul>
  <h2>Government Organizations</h2>
  <ul>
  </ul>

<userdetail "MIT" "Massachusets Institute of Technology, Artificial Intelligence Lab" "http://www.ai.mit.edu";>
    In the MIT AI lab the "Officially Supported" flavor of GNU/Linux
    is Debian.  There are approximately 100 user workstations running
    Debian, as well as a small but growing OpenMosix Cluster serving
    compute cycles (<a href="http://www.ai.mit.edu/sysadmin/cluster.html";>http://www.ai.mit.edu/sysadmin/cluster.html</a>).
    The switch to Debian was made official in September 2001.  The largest
    reason being the ease of package management, which users love (users
    here get that kind of freedom) and also allows the sysadmins to
    semi-automate security updates (we like to check the updates on a test
    system before forcing them on the users, but do date there's been no
    problems).
</userdetail>

<userdetail "bayour.com" "Bayour.com" "http://bayour.com";>
    I'm using Debian GNU/Linux on one i386 user server (doing
    IMAP, POP, Shell services etc). To this comes two Debian
    GNU/Linux SPARC servers hosting the LDAP, Kerberos and
    DNSSEC services for my network.
    On the Intel, the users authenticate/authorize against the
    LDAP/Kerberos setup (no users in traditional /etc/{passwd,shadow}
    etc). Using AFS (OpenAFS) for distributed storage of webdirectories,
    homedirectories etc guaranties availability and security
    of file services.
    Users can now (if need be) have access to their homedirectory
    at home securely through this encrypted network filesystem.
</userdetail>

<userdetail "MerloStation" "Merlo Station Natural Resources Science and Technology High School, Beaverton, Oregon">
    At this public school, Debian is used on a small number of
    workstations and a couple servers serving the Debian boxes for
    home directories, DNS, etc.  Debian is used by the students
    primarily for programming and computer graphics classes, extensive
    use of The GIMP, blender, emacs and GCC.  I switched the Linux
    boxes from Red Hat for security and simplicity, RPM is a major
    problem to deal with and allowing anybody with access to the
    keyboard to reboot and get root on a standard install was not
    desirable.  Debian gave the school what it needed most in the
    simplest form possible for the student-run network.  MSNRSTHS is a
    public magnet school in the Beaverton School District.
</userdetail>

<userdetail "IMAPMC" "City Hall of Campinas city, Sao Paulo, Brazil">
    We use Debian in all Linux servers (there are also Solaris and AIX
    servers).  Debian takes care of email, Web, DNS and light database
    services.  Mission critical applications for the city management
    run on Debian servers.
</userdetail>

<userdetail "hardware.no" "Hardware.no" "http://www.hardware.no";>
    We run about eight servers, all running Debian, serving one of the
    largest online tech news sites in Norway.  Debian provides good and
    timely security updates and its developers are usually quite
    responsive to bug reports and such.  We'll be continuing running
    Debian.
</userdetail>