Re: wrapping of the navigation bar

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 02:59:56PM +0200, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> > Does anyone happen to have an idea how this could be done?
>
> There's a wrapping property in CSS, which is probably the way to go. We
> probably should remove a lot of the HTMLish formatting and go for CSS once
> Debian has shipped 3.0 (since there will no longer be a need to support
> Netscape 4.0...).

That isn't really a convincing argument, both because we don't address only
users of Debian, but those that don't use it, and because we always aim to
support maximum possible users. Just like we keep m68k support, we keep
support for text-only browsers :)

> Anyway, for the Swedish translation I shortened the translation. "Getting
> Debian" gets quite long when translated directly, so I instead translated it
> as "Get Debian", which is much shorter.

Yes, this is excellent. I wish more translators would actually think about
these things instead of literally translating and using whatever words pop
in their heads at the time...

> But I don't have access to the image build scripts where I am at the moment,
> and pushing new images will require a manual re-build of the entire Swedish
> part of the site, so I need some assistance there.

I'll do it, just tell me when you have committed the new text in your
pics.conf (already?) and I'll change it and rebuild the translation.

> I would have appreciated some advance notice to the change in buttons (a
> week or two, especially now during the summer holiday season).

I got tired of waiting. sitemap was there for a year, and I did other work
with the distrib pages so I bumped it all in. Active translators catch up
very quickly anyway, and even if you don't, that's the least of our
problems.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.