Re: HTTP mirror link is hard to locate on www.debian.org

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:43:18PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Call mer stupid
> Well I was stupid.  For usability test, you need a "stupid" person :)

:) You have a point, though, an outsider look can be useful.

> > You are confused by the file name -- the names of the countries are HTTP,
> > and the "(FTP)" links are HTTP. Hmm. Maybe we should make the latter <small>.
>
> I see.  It is tricky :)  Maybe following updates may help people like me.
>
> Old Title: "The FTP server network"
> New Title: "The Debian download server network"

Oh, of course. I've now changed that to "Debian download servers", that
seemed a bit simpler.

> Old lead phrase:
>    Debian GNU/Linux is distributed (mirrored) on hundreds of servers on the
>    Internet. Using a nearby server will probably speed up your download, and
>    also reduce the load on our central servers and on the Internet as a
>    whole.
>
> New lead phrase:
>    Debian GNU/Linux is distributed (mirrored) on hundreds of servers on
>    the Internet. They can be accessed by several methods including HTTP
>    and FTP. Using a nearby server will probably speed up your download,
>    and also reduce the load on our central servers and on the Internet
>    as a whole.
>
> I did not say RSYNC in above.

I'd prefer to not the methods in the first paragraph. They should be obvious
later.

> Then all the lists shall be:
>
> Old list on screen: "Austria (FTP)"
>    ,,    excerpts in HTML:
>
> New list on screen: "Austria: HTTP, FTP"
>    ,,    excerpts in HTML:

This is better, yeah. I'll leave the country names linked to the HTTP
mirrors, just so it's easier to point and click :)

> I understand this is generated by the script (ftplist.py) and wml.

Actually the list is generated by the makefile, not the Python script.
But regardless, it'll be done easily.

> Also, front page link needs to ditch the use of FTP and simply say
> "Download".

Yes, I have made preparations for this, I made a new tag a few months back.
I guess it's time to switch it on!

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.