Re: Fwd: Re: Manual on crack when browsed at http.us.debian.org

Chris Tillman (tillman@voicetrak.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 05:53:09PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > ----- Forwarded message from Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> -----
> >
> > Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:24:17 +0200
> > From: Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
> > To: Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com>
> > Cc: debian-www@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: Manual on crack when browsed at http.us.debian.org
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:01:47PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > The manual at http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/install.en.html
> > > looks great in lynx. The one at
> > >
> > > http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/doc/install.en.html
> > >
> > > is just a mess o' links. Isn't this the same one that will be
> > > browsable on the CDs?
> >
> > You have to ask the -boot people, because that one is built by them.
>
> I did a build, and the build doesn't come out like that; it looks
> fine on my disk in the build folder.
>
> I see, what causes it to look so bad is the <link> feature you guys have
> been talking about. There is a couple of hundred links in the <head>
> section, not displayed by browsers like mozilla. But definitely displayed
> by lynx. The real manual is actually fine, further down the page; but
> I hadn't even bothered to scroll down before, it just looked all screwed-up.

The latest version of debiandoc-sgml has these <link>s optional.

> What's worse, is that the links don't even work. They don't have the
> yy.ffff (en.html in my case) appended to the document names such
> as ch-partitioning.

Oops!  Bug alert!  Could you file a bug report against debiandoc?  I've
already tested the fix as we  speak, but this should go on record.

> Is lynx wrong for displaying this stuff? Should I bug it?

Well, that depends on how you look at it.  It would be nice if lynx (and
also links) would have the same options as Mozilla wrt <link>s.

By the way, Osama already has files wishlists against lynx and links for this.

> But definitely the link syntax should be fixed - whatever this stuff
> is used for won't work.

Thanks,
Ardo
--