Re: faq.diff

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 12:20:56PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  I'm not fully happy with it - please proofread it and mail
> sugguestions. I don't even mind a complete rewrite or sugguestions to
> move that point up/down in that list.  It's merely just a sugguestion.

Well, I've held myself back because I'm not a native English speaker
either, but if no-one else does, I'll try rewording it a bit.

> +  apt-proxy program downloads only the files you need and built
> +  locally a partial mirror. All your individual machines will only
> +  connect to the machine on which you did setup apt-proxy. That
> +  machine will load the packages from some of the official sites
> +  via rsync which especially lowers the bandwidth usage for the
> +  Packages and Release files. It will also only download the needed
> +  files and is quite flexible to configure and quite easy to use.
> +  Only requirement is that the sites from which you want to mirror
> +  the .deb files has to support the rsync protocol, which most of
> +  the official mirrors do.</li>

program is a special proxy for Debian mirrors. Once you have set up
all your machines to use your apt-proxy machine instead of an official
mirror, the proxy will download and cache only those files that your
machines request, instead of mirroring the complete Debian archive.
apt-proxy uses rsync to fetch missing files, which lowers the
bandwidth usage, in particular for the Packages and Release files.
Additionally, it is quite flexible to configure and easy to use. As
its only requirement, it needs a mirror that offers rsync access,
which most of the official mirrors do.</li>

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _