Re: questions on webwml/english/templete/debian/cdimage.wml

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 07:58:40PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> where <B7> is 0xB7.  Note that I didn't give a translation of "faq".
> Also note that I translated the "download with jingo" message.

Is there any reason why you have translated "jigdo" as "jingo"? Have I
managed to give my program a name which sounds obscene in Japanese, or
something? :-) Does "jigdo" or "jingo" mean anything in Japanese?

> Thus, the strange byte sequence of ^[$B7"^[(B is perhaps come from
> translation of [JA:|:] .

I have no idea why this happens. :-/

But I noticed that the bottom navigation bar still used the "·"
character - I've replaced that with <sep>. Additionally, I replaced
the English character with its entity, "&middot;"

> (1) Why ISO-8859-1 (non ASCII) character is used for English message
>     (which can be used as a part of non-English page) ?  It should
>     be avoided.

Well, changing <sep> should theoretically solve the problem. :-/ Maybe
using a character entity makes a difference?

> (2) Why "|" doesn't work?
>
> (3) Why my translation of "download with jingo" (and other translations)
>     are not used?

(I haven't had a look at the Japanese page.) Note that it is currently
only used for the ALT text, the menu PNGs are not translatable ATM.

I noticed another possible problem with cdimage.wml: I hardcoded
"mailto:debian-cd@lists.debian.org"; with character codes, as
"&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;debian-cd&#64;lists.debian.org"
- will this break with some languages, or is ASCII a subset of all
charsets that the pages get translated into?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _