Re: Images on /CD/

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 06:15:42PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> Richard Atterer:
> > I made those images. They do not contain any gamma chunk, so they
> > ought to be displayed with a linear mapping.
>
> The default gamma value is 2.2 (whatever that means, I'm not very
> good at graphics).

It defines the relationship between the red/green/blue _values_ and
their _intensity_ on screen. By supplying it you say: I designed the
image on hardware with that gamma value; if you want to see the same
image as me and *your* monitor's gamma value is different, you need to
adjust the RGB values.

However, configuring a system-wide gamma value (and actually having
all the software on the system use it) only seems to work on Apple
computers. Everybody else just uses the defaults... :-/

> > The same thing happens on Netscape 4.
>
> Impressive, I didn't think Netscape 4 was any good at displaying PNG
> images :-)

Amazing, isn't it? :-) Unfortunately, NS4 doesn't support transparent
PNGs (not even 1-bit transparency), otherwise using transparency would
have been the best solution.

Cheers,

  Richard

--