Re: new front page, take 1

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> > Left to right. How do you read all other web pages? If anything, _this_ can
> > be assumed...
>
> Since it's two-column, my first assumption is to read the left column and
> then the right column (like a newspaper), but then things come out of order.

*****Users don't read webpages*****

They scan them.  The proposed format can work not because of the columns,
but because there is a big yellow subject heading that's easy to see, and
then the stuff in the box obviously goes with it.

Remember when I was ranting about putting the /doc pages in more of a list
format?  I finally remembered the short article that spelled everything
out, and gave examples with actual "readability" testing results.

See: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9710a.html

Jakob Nielsen -> Web Usability :: Donald Knuth -> Programming

-Jeff

Jeff Albro                                      jeff@antistatic.com

Customer Interaction Consultant                          Boston, MA