Re: MS-IE6 gpf when viewing Debian web pages

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:46:53PM -0600, A Kerr wrote:
> While viewing any Debian web page with the multi-language links at the
> bottom, when my MS-IE6 browser tries to render the portion of the page
> showing links to other languages i.e. "This page is also available in
> the following languages:", I get a "IEXPLORE caused a general protection
> fault in module <unknown> at 0000:0001f929".
> [This is making it hard to read your pages!]
>
> The problem seems to be the Korean link, and specifically the three
> &#nnnnn characters.  I've copied the text below (inserting spaces and
> mangling the html in case you are using web e-mail readers and this
> causes you problems):

I've got IE6 at work, specifically 6.0.2600.0000 and it renders the
pages fine.  You really cannot pick it, IE5 randomly used to lock the
entire system up (like pull the power plug out sort of lockup) on
very simple pages like www.smh.com.au and www.lprng.com on this same
box.

All web browsers are buggy and they are buggy in their own individual
ways.  You should hear the cursing from my web developer at work about
what browser do to her pages :)  It's annoying but, it's unlikely we'll
change anything.  I'd suggest you upgrade to the next buglevel of IE or
fiddle with some settings, even if they're not obviously related; you'd
be surprised how well that can sometimes work.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>