Re: Deliberate web site reorganization

* Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> [011214 16:12]:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:41:31PM -0500, Jeff Albro wrote:
> [...]
> > Instead of a link to the security mailing list, let people input their
> > e-mail address.
>
> That would be pushing it... like SatireWire.com says, "Gertrude Stein died
> in 1946, so you should join our MAILING LIST". :)

I would think that a security list would be different for sysadmin types
that use Debian, yet I would also guess that if my behavior is any
indication, most people want to look at the archives before subscribing
to a list.

> [...]
> > * A fact based analysis of where we are now.
>
> Too depressing ;)

We're on the way already, so get over it.   :-)

> > * A set of design guidelines (maybe a small web policy manual?)
>
> The primary guideline so far seems to be "What others don't protest to" :)
>
> Heck, now that I think about it, that's one of the better guidelines on the
> web today. If only some other webmasters followed it...

One design goal should be to help users install Debian.

Another is to inform the curious Debian user in a clear and direct
manner about how the parts of the Debian organization function.

> > * Prototype sites put up for review (with a specific comment period as
> > many volunteers have different schedules, and we should make sure people
> > get a fair chance to air their concerns.)
> >
> > * A final decision process (voting, benevolent dictator, etc..)
>
> I know you didn't like me redoing /doc/ without a nice process, but let's
> face it, if I hadn't done it, we would have been stuck with that old page
> for God knows how much longer...

Action speaks loudly.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>