Re: Deliberate web site reorganization

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 01:18:02AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:41:31PM -0500, Jeff Albro wrote:
> > If you take a look at the server logs, you can see where people went from
> > the main page. (grep for home page as referring link)
>
> How does this work? I don't get it. Maybe it's just that www.d.o Apache logs
> don't track referrers...

Yeah, we got a crappy common format log instead of combined.  This is an
example of combined:
1.2.3.4 - - [17/Dec/2001:07:37:42 +1100] "GET /itools/nslookup.php HTTP/1.1" 200 5419 "http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=nslookup+web"; "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 4.0)"

This guy searched from google for "nslookup web" on Google and he got my
nslookup page.  Combined is so much better because you can tune stuff
for search strings and you can see entry and exit pages.  Entry page is
a page that has a referred that isn't your site and an exit page is a
page that is not mentioned elsewhere as a referrer.

What we want is their paths and that's where apache2dot comes in.  You
can get pretty pictures showing where people go.  Not of course that has
to be tempered with Jay's comments about WHY people age going to the
website.

You know, we could just ask people...

> > Are more than 5% of people going to the mirrors?  Are they worth having?
>
> % zgrep redirect.pl access.log access.log.0 access.log.?.gz | wc -l
>    7513
>
> That's also since Dec 4th.
>
> Bear in mind that once you change to the mirror you don't invoke the script
> anymore (because the in-site links are meant to stay within the site), so
> this only counts those people who switch from one mirror to another.
I personally don';t use the mirrors because they often are awful.  I get
apt to use it for my downloads though.  So Jay, are we goign to remove
mirrors?  Can I have my pgsql-run vendors list now? :)

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>